GALLERY ARTIST (Membership)
As a first step, prospective members may apply for a visiting artist exhibition or may ask to be considered for membership separately. See information below. (Click here for info on Visiting Artist Exhibitions.)
To Apply for Membership
We ask artists to submit the following via free online digital submission, postal or by website:
CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE DIGITAL SUBMISSION (NO FEE)
- Cover letter of interest addressed to Gary Duehr, Gallery Manager.
- Resume and artists's statement on paper.
- Image list on paper with the same information and numbers corresponding to your jpgs.
- Optional supporting materials (i.e. articles, reviews).
- SASE (stamped self-addressed envelope) for return of your materials. This is required; submissions without an SASE will be discarded.
- 10–20 low-res jpgs on a CD or DVD from one recent, coherent body of work—essentially, an exhibition proposal. Please do not embed jpgs in a program such as Powerpoint.
Send your website to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject heading must read: "Website submission to Bromfield Gallery." Include links to one recent, coherent body of work (like an exhibition proposal), not to the entire website. Also include links to your CV or bio, plus statement on your site.
After you submit the materials listed above, here is what happens:
1. Materials are reviewed by gallery artists at a monthly meeting. If the review is favorable, you will be invited to bring 3–5 pieces to the gallery for an in-person review.
2. If the in-person review is favorable, a committee of gallery artists will either schedule a studio visit or an interview with you. At that time, the committee will answer questions, and explain the benefits and responsibilities of members—sitting, receptions, members gallery, etc.—and the spirit of a coop gallery. The artist will discuss her/his reasons for seeking membership and experience in similar settings.
3. Members vote. If accepted, you will begin a 3-month trial period in which you pay dues and may show in the members gallery, help with sitting and receptions, etc., but the initiation fee is delayed until final acceptance.
4. At the end of the trial period, either you or the gallery members may decline permanent membership. Gallery artists vote on permanent membership. If permanent membership is approved, you will be asked to pay the $500 initiation fee and sign a membership contract. It is at that point that full benefits and responsibilities begin.
Members: Dues are $100/month, and new members pay a one-time initiation fee of $500. Members receive a 60% commission on the sale of their work.
Members receive a solo exhibition every 24 months. Their exhibition expenses are the same as those of visiting artists except that there is no gallery rental fee; this rental fee is covered by members' monthly dues. Members show work in the Gallery Artists space and flat file on an ongoing basis; and are represented on the gallery web site and in a gallery binder. In addition, members participate in a Members Group Show each September to coincide with the South End Open Studios, and an annual holiday show in December. The relationship with Bromfield is non-exclusive, so members are encouraged to show at other spaces.
Associate Members: The monthly dues are $60, and Associate Members receive a show in Gallery III every 24 months. The initiation fee is $250. They have a full vote at meetings, are included on the web site and in a gallery binder, and may participate in group shows in September and December. Their work is included in the Gallery Artists space as room allows. Otherwise, Associate Members enjoy the benefits and share the responsibilties of full membership.
Low-Residency Members: The monthly dues are $200. No gallery sitting or participation is required. Although they may not vote, they are welcome at monthly meetings. Low-Residency Members receive a show every 24 months, may participate in group shows in September and December, and their work is included on the web site, in a gallery binder, and in the Gallery Artists space.
National Members: The yearly dues are $800, paid in advance. No gallery sitting or participation is required. National Members receive the following benefits: participation in September and December group shows; participation in flat file; binder in gallery; page or link on Bromfield web site; 10% discount if they choose to show as a Visiting Artist; and affiliation with Bromfield Gallery, a member of the Boston Art Dealers Association. Their work is included in the Gallery Artists space as room allows.